Thirsting for a fun, flavorful drink for your upcoming patriotic party? Mix up this sparkling red, white and blue sangria and you’ll want to serve this festive fruity beverage all summer long!
We’ve updated the traditional red wine-based sangria with white wine and St. Germain liqueur (a bright-tasting liqueur made from elderflowers). The white wine allows the eye-catching red and blue colors from the fresh berries to shine through.
If too-sweet sangria isn’t your thing, you’ll love this patriotic drink recipe. Dry white wine (we suggest your favorite sauvignon blanc or chardonnay) keeps this light and bright. You could also try an Albarino (a dry Spanish wine) or a dry Riesling.
ALSO TRY: Amazing American flag cupcakes
In a large clear pitcher, combine the wine, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and white grape juice. Refrigerate for up to four hours to let the flavors blend.
When it’s party time, slowly stir in the champagne or sparkling white wine and the St. Germain liqueur. To make a patriotic garnish, use a 1-inch star cookie cutter to cut star shapes out of thick slices of apple.
Pour sangria into glasses, making sure a mixture of berries gets into each glass. Attach apple stars to the side of each glass to serve. Serve immediately. Add any remaining apple stars directly into the sangria and keep this festive beverage chilled.
>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Pour white wine into large pitcher
Add berries to drink mixture
Mix berries with drink mixture and allow flavors to blend
Use a cookie cutter to make small stars out of apple slices
Pour sparkling sangria into a tall glass
Make sure to garnish the drink with apple stars
Sparkling red, white and blue sangria is a delicious Summer drink!
Sparkling red, white and blue sangria
Yield 10–12 servings
- 1 bottle dry white wine, chilled
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 1 cup white grape juice
- 1 bottle champagne (or any variety of sparkling white wine), chilled
- 3/4 cup St. Germain liqueur
- 3 to 4 medium to large Granny Smith apples, cut into 1-inch slices
- In large pitcher, combine white wine, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries,and grape juice.
- Cover pitcher and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- When ready to serve, slowly stir in champagne and St. Germain liqueur.
- Cut apple slices with 1-inch star cookie cutter.
- Pour sangria into glasses.
- Garnish with apple stars on side of each glass.
- Serve immediately.