When you think of July 4th celebrations, what do you think of? Barbecues, right? People coming together, throwing hot dogs on the grill, cheers-ing to ‘Merica with beers from a cooler, and singing along to Springsteen’s Born in the USA. And then there’s the food — typically everything from meat-heavy dishes to colorful salads to frozen treats. You might be surprised to learn that you can use some of these barbecue standbys in a DIY face mask, perfect for rejuvenating summer skin. Here are two to try.
Watermelon, potato and honey mask
Watermelon: As the quintessential summer food, it’s sweet, hydrating, portable, and refreshing. It’s also incredibly beautifying when applied to your skin in a summer DIY face mask. So buy a few extra watermelons for your July 4th barbecue, because you’ll definitely want to try this.
While you’re at it, set aside one of those potatoes when you’re whipping up your famous potato salad for the barbecue. Using a potato in a face mask might seem strange, but this recipe is a favorite of Miranda Kerr’s — so you know it’s good.
- 1/2 slice fresh watermelon
- 1 potato
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- Boil the potato until it’s soft enough to mash, then blend or mash it until you get the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Blend the watermelon with the honey.
- Mix it all together.
- Apply to skin evenly and let sit for 20 minutes. Rinse with tepid water.
MORE: Our DIY honey-coconut lip scrub does wonders for chapped lips
Tomato face mask
Tomatoes aren’t just great on cheeseburgers and in salads; they’re full of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps combat the aging effects of sun exposure. This DIY face mask helps brighten and nourish skin that’s been having fun in the sun this summer.
- 1/2 ripe tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Blend or crush the tomato until it’s the consistency of a puree.
- Mix in the lemon juice and honey until thoroughly blended.
- Apply to your face and let it sit for up to 15 minutes.
- Rinse well with warm water and follow with your usual skincare regime.