Turkey alternative: Italian-stuffed beef
- 4 eggs
- 2 slices of sandwich bread, sides taken away
- 1/4 cup milk
- 9 ounces ground pork
- 9 ounces ground beef
- 1 small onion, grated or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound (around 8 big slices) very thin slices of beef , pounded with a meat tenderizer
- 4 big slices of cooked ham
- 5 ounces thin slices of cheese
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Preheat the oven to 395 degrees F.
- Over medium heat, in a pot of boiling water, cook 3 of the eggs until hard boiled. Shell them then set aside.
- In a small bowl, soak the slices of bread in the milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground pork, ground beef, the remaining egg, onion, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and the bread soaked in milk. Mix well until compact. Set aside.
- Note: If your Dutch oven is small, you can divide the meat roll in 2 to make 2 short ones.
- Place a big piece of parchment paper on the table.
- On the parchment paper, lay the thin slices of meat, slightly overlapping at the edges to connect them to each other.
- Distribute the ground meat mixture on top of the sliced beef, leaving about 2 inches of the edges of the sliced beef free.
- On top of the ground meat mixture, layer the ham, cheese, green peas and the hard boiled eggs.
- Roll carefully with the help of the parchment paper and tie tightly with a cooking string.
- Rub the meat roll with some salt and pepper.
- Over medium – high heat in a hot Dutch oven with olive oil, brown all sides of the meat roll.
- Transfer the Dutch oven to the preheated oven at 395 degrees F. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until the meat roll is cooked through. In the middle of cooking pour the wine on the wine.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/more/turkey-alternative-italian-stuffed-beef/