Whole wheat dinner rolls with pumpkin seeds
Yield 12-15 rolls
- 1 package dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-1/2 tablespoons honey, divided into 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 tablespoons
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour (may not use all of this)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- Place yeast in water and stir. Make certain that the water is 110 degrees F when adding yeast. Stir in 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Allow to stand for 8-10 minutes, or until the yeast turns bubbly and doubles in volume. Set aside.
- Then add the remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons of honey, butter and salt with the milk in a small pan. Heat on simmer until the butter melts.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl. Be sure to allow it to cool to lukewarm before proceeding to the next step.
- Stir yeast mixture into the milk mixture.
- Add in whole wheat flour and wheat germ, 1/2 cup at a time while continuously stirring until all is incorporated.
- Add enough all purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times.
- Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest in a warm spot until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Place dough back on floured surface. Knead several more times.
- Divide dough in half. Divide dough again into 12 equal sized portions.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top of rolls.
- Allow to rise again for 2-3 hours, until doubled in size.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake until done, about 15 minutes. They will be golden in color.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/whole-wheat-dinner-rolls-pumpkin-seeds/