Turkey and stuffing casserole
Yield 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium Bosc pears, cored, diced
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh sage, minced
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, minced, divided 2 teaspoons and 1 teaspoon
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for the turkey
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for the turkey
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large loaf French bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, dried out
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced, divided 1/2 cup and 2 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon or base
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 pounds bone-in turkey pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Add butter to skillet over medium heat and melt.
- Add the onion, pears, celery, and garlic to the skillet. Saute the vegetable mixture until the onions and celery are softened.
- Add thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir the cooked bacon bits into the vegetable mixture.
- Add the cubed French bread and 1/2 cup of the minced parsley to the vegetable mixture. Stir to combine.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together chicken bouillon or base with the hot water until the bouillon or base is completely dissolved.
- Pour the chicken bouillon over the stuffing mixture and stir until everything is coated.
- Transfer the stuffing mixture to a 9x11-inch glass casserole dish.
- Rub the skin of the turkey pieces with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the turkey pieces over the stuffing in the casserole dish.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven and roast, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours or until the turkey skin is browned and crispy and the stuffing is bubbling around the edges.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle with additional minced parsley and thyme to garnish.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Courses Main dish
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/turkey-and-stuffing-casserole-is-the-perfect-way-to-get-the-taste-of-thanksgiving-without-slaving-away-in-the-kitchen/