Southern green beans with roasted garlic
Yield 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 of a whole white onion, diced
- 1 whole head of garlic, roasted, chopped, divided 5 cloves and remainder of the bulb
- 1 cup diced smoked ham
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, ends removed, left whole
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion, 5 cloves of roasted garlic, and smoked ham. Cook, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Add the green beans to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the remainder of the whole roasted garlic cloves, stirring to combine.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the green bean mixture to a serving dish. Serve hot.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/these-homemade-southern-green-beans-with-roasted-garlic-are-an-ideal-side-dish-for-any-meal/