Sweet potato casserole with pecan topping
Yield 10 servings
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, skin intact
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
For pecan topping:
- 1 cup pecans, roasted, one-half whole, one-half chopped
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups marshmallows
- Sweet potatoes: Preheat oven to 400 F, and line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Lay the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the potatoes to cool slightly.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cream with butter and vanilla extract. Bring to a simmer and stir until the butter is melted.
- Peel the potatoes, then transfer to a food processor or blender. Puree for 1 minute, until fairly smooth.
- With the food processor or blender on low speed, carefully pour the vanilla cream into the sweet potatoes and process until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Scoop the whipped sweet potatoes into a 9-inch baking dish and spread evenly. Set aside.
- Pecan topping: In a medium-sized bowl, combine pecans, crispy rice cereal, cinnamon, brown sugar, melted butter, and a pinch of salt.
- Evenly spoon the pecan topping over the whipped sweet potatoes.
- Place the casserole dish on a baking sheet, and transfer to the center rack of the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven.
- Arrange marshmallows on top in a circular pattern allowing the pecan topping to show through.
- Return the pan to the top rack of the oven and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the tops of the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Casserole can be served immediately or served at room temperature.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/sweet-potato-casserole-with-pecan-topping/