Smoky leftover turkey corn chowder with bacon
Yield 8 servings
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 1/2 medium jalapeno, finely chopped, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, toasted
- 6 cups (48 ounces) homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken or turkey broth
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 pound), peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 (4-ounce) cans mild diced green chiles, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 cups shredded turkey
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup half and half, plus more to taste
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
- Parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, 8 to 10minutes. Drain on a paper towel and set aside, reserving one tablespoon of fat in the pot.
- Return the pot to medium heat, and add onion, carrot, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about five minutes.
- Add bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for three minutes more.
- Add jalapeno and cumin and cook, stirring, one minute more.
- Add broth, sweet potato, chiles, oregano and bay leaves and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Cook until the sweet potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the turkey and corn. Cook until warmed through, three to five minutes.
- Stir in the half and half. Continue to cook until just warmed through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, thinning the chowder with another 1/4 cup half and half, if needed.
- Serve turkey chowder garnished with crumbled bacon, scallions and parsley.
Courses Main Course
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/simple-smoky-leftover-turkey-corn-chowder-with-bacon/