Rosemary-lemon roasted turkey
Yield 10-12 servings
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Zest and juice of one large lemon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 (15-pound) turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into slices, softened
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups of your favorite stuffing, cooked
- 1 large onion, cut into two-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth, plus extra as needed
- Preheat oven to 400F. Set the oven rack on a low position in the oven.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and rosemary. Cook until hot. Remove from heat and set aside while you prepare the turkey.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan.
- Prepare the turkey by adding salt and pepper inside the large cavity.
- Add about 1-1/2 cups of stuffing inside the large cavity.
- Add the rest of the stuffing inside the smaller cavity on other end of the turkey.
- Using your fingers, separate the skin from the breast meat, starting at the top of the breast and sliding to the right and left, then working down.
- Arrange the pieces of butter under the skin and onto the meat.
- Tie the turkey legs together and tuck the wing tips under.
- Squeeze lemon juice all over the turkey.
- Brush the turkey with half of the infused herb and olive oil.
- Season the entire turkey with salt and pepper.
- Place onions in the bottom of the roasting pan, along with 1-1/2 cups of chicken broth. Optional: Add giblets if desired.
- Roast the turkey for one hour.
- Reduce heat to 375F.
- Tent foil over the turkey and continue to roast for 2 to 3-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted into the breast reads 165F.
- While the turkey is roasting, brush turkey with remaining infused olive oil every 30 minutes.
- Add more chicken broth, one cup at a time, if the roasting pan becomes dry.
- Transfer the turkey to a serving platter and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Carve and serve.
Courses Main Course
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/rosemary-lemon-roasted-turkey/