Old-fashioned green bean casserole
For the crunchy onion topping
- 2 medium onions, thinly-sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
For the casserole
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1-1/2 pounds of green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely-chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. mixed mushrooms (button, shiitake and chantrelles), sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
Prepare the crunchy onion topping:
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Combine the flour, bread crumbs, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Toss onions into the flour mixture.
- Brush a baking sheet with the cooking oil.
- Spread the onions evenly out over the baking sheet.
- Place the sheet pan of onions in the oven and bake. After about 15 minutes, turn the onions over. Finish baking until done and golden brown approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
Prepare the casserole:
- Lower the heat in the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of salt.
- Add the beans and cook/blanch for about 5-6 minutes.
- Immediately drain, and place the beans in a large water bath (a bowl of ice mixed with cold water). This allows the beans to stop cooking.
- Once cool, drain the water off of the beans and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots, garlic, mushrooms and salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to lose some of their liquid (about 5 minutes).
- Add 2 tablespoons flour to the mushroom mixture and stir well.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the cream and half-and-half and simmer. Allow to simmer until the mixture thickens, about 5-10 minutes.
- Pour beans in a 9" x 12" casserole dish. Top mixture with the baked onions.
- Place in oven and bake for about 12 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Courses Side dish
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/old-fashioned-green-bean-casserole/