Mushroom herb gravy
Yield 4-6 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Leaves from 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute or just until soft and fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft and dark and most of the moisture they release has evaporated.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle mushrooms with flour. Continue to cook, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the flour has turned a golden brown on the bottom of the skillet.
- Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth. Whisk well to make sure that all of the flour has dissolved off the bottom of the skillet and no lumps remain.
- Add the thyme leaves, sage, and some freshly cracked pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer. Allow the gravy to simmer for 7 to 10 minutes, whisking often, until it is the desired thickness.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/mushroom-herb-gravy/