Mayonnaise roasted turkey
Yield 10-12 servings
- 1 (12- to 14-pound) whole turkey, thawed, neck and giblets removed
- 1-1/2 cups of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves, plus extra whole leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme leaves, plus extra whole stems of leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced rosemary, plus extra whole sprigs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano, plus extra whole sprigs
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 stalks celery, rough chopped
- 1 large onion, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth, plus more if needed
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Place turkey on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.
- Tie the turkey legs together with twine and tuck the wings underneath.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, minced sage, thyme, rosemary and oregano.
- Rub mayonnaise and herb mixture all over the outside of the turkey.
- Season the turkey with salt and pepper.
- Place celery and onion inside the turkey cavity and drop extra pieces in the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Place the cubed butter inside of the turkey cavity. Insert the additional whole herbs into the turkey cavity.
- Pour two cups of chicken broth into the bottom of the roasting pan. Continue to add broth or water as the turkey is roasting if pan becomes dry.
- Roast the turkey for one hour. Reduce the oven heat to 350F and continue roasting, uncovered, until internal thermometer reaches 165F. Cover legs and breasts with foil halfway through the cooking process if the turkey begins getting too brown.
- Remove the turkey from the oven. Cover loosely with foil and allow it to rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
- Carve and serve.
Courses Main Course
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/mayonnaise-roasted-turkey/