Homemade Southern cornbread dressing recipe
Yield 10 servings
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Cornbread (9-by-9-inch pan)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onions (about half a large onion)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup diced green bell peppers (about 1 medium; add red bell pepper if you like, too)
- 3 pieces toast
- 1 cooked chicken breast or cooked chicken thighs, shredded
- 3 to 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dry sage
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large bowl, stir together cornmeal and flour.
- Add buttermilk, eggs and oil, stirring to combine.
- Pour into greased 9-by-9-inch casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
- Allow cornbread to cool.
- Break up cornbread and toast into large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and bell pepper. Sauté until vegetables are soft.
- Add sautéed veggies and cooked shredded chicken to cornbread mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add broth a little at a time, just enough to make it thick and a little soupy.
- Stir in poultry seasoning, sage and black pepper.
- Sample dressing, and adjust seasonings.
- Stir in eggs.
- Pour dressing into buttered 9-by-13-inch casserole pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/homemade-southern-cornbread-dressing-will-remind-you-of-your-favorite-childhood-holiday-side-dish/