Herb roasted turkey recipe
- 1 10-12 pound fresh turkey, with the neck, heart and gizzard removed
- 2 whole shallots
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Roughly an hour before you want to put your turkey in the oven, remove it from the refrigerator and remove the neck, heart and gizzard.
- Place the turkey breast-side up on a plastic cutting board or in the roasting pan to allow it to warm up a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Ensure that your oven rack is in the bottom third of your oven. Rub the turkey with some salt and pepper and then a good coating of olive oil. Place the whole shallots and the thyme sprigs in the cavity of the turkey.
- Settle the bird in the roasting pan, breast side up.
- Pour two cups of vegetable broth into the roasting pan, tent the roasting pan with aluminum foil and place the turkey in the oven.
- Roast the turkey for 2 hours.
- Remove the aluminum foil and baste with the drippings.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425F and continue to roast the turkey until it reaches 165F in both the thigh and breast. This should take roughly another hour.
- Remove the rack and turkey and transfer it to a clean cutting board.
- Tent the turkey with aluminum foil once again and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/herb-roasted-turkey-shallot-gravy/