Leftover turkey chili smothered sweet potatoes
Yield 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 sweet potatoes (8 to 12 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups leftover turkey, shredded or chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro or green onions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using up to 2 tablespoons of olive oil, rub the outside skins of each sweet potato. Prick the skins of the sweet potatoes a few times with a fork.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes, then turn and continue roasting for 1 hour or until very soft.
- Meanwhile, prepare the turkey chili. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onions turn soft and transparent.
- Stir in the leftover turkey and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and water. Stir to combine.
- Bring the chili to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Once the sweet potatoes are finished baking, carefully slice each one lengthwise to open but not cut through all the way. Use a fork to lightly mash the insides.
- Scoop about 3/4 cup of the chili over each sweet potato, then top with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Return the potatoes to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Garnish with cilantro and/or sliced green onions just before serving.
- Serve hot.
Courses Main dish
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/got-leftovers-make-our-easy-leftover-turkey-chili-smothered-sweet-potatoes/