Easy pretzel rolls
Yield 12 rolls
- 1-1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 packet active dry or instant yeast
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided into 1 tablespoon and 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- coarse sea salt for sprinkling
Baking soda bath
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 9 cups water
- In a small bowl, whisk yeast and warm water together. Allow to sit for one minute.
- Meanwhile, melt one tablespoon butter.
- Whisk in salt, brown sugar and melted butter into the yeast. Slowly add three cups of flour, one cup at a time. Mix with a wooden spoon or in a stand mixer with the dough hook attached. The dough should be thick.
- Add 3/4 cup more flour and mix until the dough is no longer sticky. If it is still sticky, add 1/4 - 1/2 cup more, as needed. Poke the dough with your finger: if it bounces back, it is ready to knead.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough for three minutes and shape into a ball. At this point, it dough can be frozen (see freezing instructions below).
- Place in a large greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and allow to rise in a warm environment for one hour or until nearly doubled in size. (Hint: Preheat oven to 200F, turn it off, place the dough inside and shut the oven.)
- Once risen, punch dough down to release any air bubbles. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and, with a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 12 portions. Shape into balls.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats OR line a 9x13 baking pan. Set aside.
- Bring baking soda and 9 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Drop 1-2 pretzel rolls into the boiling water for 20-30 seconds (any more than that and your pretzels will have a metallic taste). Using a slotted spatula, lift the pretzel roll out of the water and allow as much of the excess water to drip off. Place pretzel rolls onto prepared baking sheet or close together in a baking pan. Using a sharp knife, score a couple slits into the top of each.
- Melt the remaining butter. Lightly brush each roll with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes or until a deep golden brown on all sides.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm. Pretzel rolls may be stored in an airtight container or zipped top bag for up to three days (they lose a little softness).
Make ahead tip: Pretzel roll freeze well, up to two months. To reheat, bake frozen pretzel rolls at 350F for 20 minutes or microwave until warm. The prepared pretzel dough can be refrigerated for up to one day or frozen in an airtight container for 2-3 months. Thaw frozen dough in the refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature, then allow to rise and continue with step 6.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/easy-pretzel-rolls-make-a-perfect-dipper-or-delicious-sandwich-with-thanksgiving-leftovers/