Easy, no-fuss Thanksgiving turkey
Yield 10 servings
For herb butter:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage leaves
- 1 (12- to 16-pound) thawed turkey, at room temperature for 1 hour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 1 yellow onion, peeled, cut in eighths
- 1 lemon, cut in eighths
- 1 red apple, cored, cut in eighths
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Herb butter: In a small bowl, combine butter, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon each of minced rosemary, thyme, and sage. Blend with a spatula and set aside.
- Turkey: Pat the turkey dry with paper towels inside and outside the cavity.
- Season the cavity of the turkey with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Use your fingers to loosen and lift the skin attached to the breasts. Insert half of the herb butter underneath the skin and against the turkey flesh.
- Tuck the wings of the turkey underneath the turkey and set the turkey on a rack inside a roasting pan.
- Stuff the cavity of the turkey with the quartered onion, lemon, and apple. Insert the 1/4 cup each of fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage.
- Use twine to tie the turkey legs together.
- Melt the remaining herb butter mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Use a basting brush to coat the remaining herb butter all over the outside of the turkey, legs, and wings.
- Roast the turkey until the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Rotate the roasting pan several times while the turkey roasts to ensure even cooking and browning. Once the skin turns golden brown, cover the top of the turkey with foil to protect the breast meat from overcooking.
- Allow the turkey to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Carve and serve.
Courses Main dish
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/easy-no-fuss-thanksgiving-turkey/