Creamy leftover turkey and tortellini soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/3 cup carrot, diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound cooked turkey, cubed into bite-sized pieces or shredded
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 9 ounces fresh, refrigerated cheese tortellini
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. When melted, add the onion, celery, and carrot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour to the mixture, and whisk to combine. It will be slightly clumpy. Add the salt, black pepper, mustard, sage, and time and mix.
- Whisk in the milk and the broth, a little at a time. Whisk until smooth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat. Add the turkey, peas, and tortellini to the mixture, and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- The soup is very thick, so if you’d like, add a bit more milk and stir to combine.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/creamy-leftover-turkey-and-tortellini-soup/