Cajun spice deep fried turkey
- 4 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons smoky paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1 cup of butter
- 3 gallons peanut oil
- One 10 to 12 pound turkey, thawed
- 1 propane-fueled deep fat turkey fryer
- 1 meat injector
- 1 basting brush
- Pour peanut oil into deep fat fryer.
- Heat peanut oil until temperature reaches 350 degrees F.
- Mix spices together in a small bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Add spices to the butter and mix well.
- Fill the meat injector with the butter mixture.
- Pull the skin back from the breast meat, and inject the butter spice mixture into several areas of the turkey.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times.
- Rub the remaining spice butter mixture inside and outside of the turkey.
- Carefully lower the turkey into the hot oil, making certain that it is fully submerged.
- Fry turkey for 3 minutes per pound, plus an extra 5 minutes per bird.
- Remove turkey from hot oil. Drain on paper towels. Allow to rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Carve and serve.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/cajun-spice-deep-fried-turkey/