The best basic pan gravy
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs such as oregano, thyme and rosemary
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Take the turkey out of the roasting pan and set it aside on a platter to rest before carving. Leave the drippings in the pan and place the entire pan on a burner over medium heat.
- Add the broth and wine, if using.
- Whisk the mixture, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen all the turkey dripping bits.
- Reduce the mixture slightly by cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the liquid to a fat separator and let sit for 5 minutes to allow fat to separate.
- Return about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of the fat to the roasting pan and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Whisk continuously until the mixture starts to thicken and becomes smooth. This usually takes a few minutes.
- Gradually add the liquid back to the pan and whisk until smooth and you have reached your desired consistency, approximately 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the herbs and whisk to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/best-basic-pan-gravy/