Deep dish apple pie
Yield 8 servings
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 pounds apples (half Granny Smith/half Gala), half peeled/half left with skin, cored, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water, beaten lightly
- Dough for two 9-inch pie crusts, each rolled into 12-inch circles
- In a large bowl, mix granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, lemon zest and cinnamon.
- Add apples and toss well to combine.
- Place apple mixture into the cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cover with lid and cook, stirring frequently, until apples are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer apples and juices to a rimmed baking sheet and set aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Drain juices from apples, saving 1/4 cup of liquid.
- Whisk apple juice and lemon juice in small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Fit one circular dough into the bottom of 9-inch pie plate. Keep dough refrigerated until needed.
- Pour apples into pie shell and drizzle with apple juice mixture.
- Top apple filling with a second, round pastry and trim overhang to about 1/2 an inch.
- Pinch edges of crusts together and fold under. Use a fork to crimp edges.
- Use a sharp knife to cut 4 vents on top crust to help release steam while the pie is baking.
- Brush crust with egg wash, and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar.
- Place pie on middle rack of the oven.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper and place on lower rack of the oven under the pie to catch any drips.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until crust is light golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to 375F.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until juices are bubbling and crust is a deep golden brown.
- Cool pie at room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- Slice and serve.
* We used the traditional pie dough recipe from Art of The Pie.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/thanksgiving/a-traditional-and-easy-deep-dish-apple-pie-is-the-perfect-finale-to-your-holiday-dinner/