Skillet puffy berry pancakes
- 1/8 cup sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 lemon wedge (I used Cara Cara orange)
- 1/2 cup fresh berries
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Put the empty cast-iron skillet on the middle rack of the oven to preheat so it gets really hot. Keep it in there until oven reaches temperature and you are ready with the following batter.
- Stir together the sugar and zest in a small bowl and set aside (this is for the top later).
- Beat eggs with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and frothy (about 4 minutes).
- Beat in milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Gradually add in the flour and continue to beat until smooth, about one to two minutes more. Batter will be thin.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven carefully and add the butter. Swirl around until it melts and coats the entire bottom of the pan. Immediately pour the batter in and return the skillet to the oven.
- Bake until puffed and golden-brown, about 18 to 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately! Top with a squirt of lemon and the lemon sugar mixture (and maple syrup, if desired). Add berries, and, finally, dust with confectioner’s sugar.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/mothers-day/skillet-puffy-berry-pancakes/