Vintage double-crusted pineapple pie
Yield 8 servings
- Two 20-ounce cans crushed pineapple in juice, drained (reserve 1/2 cup of juice)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided into 1 tablespoon and 2 tablespoons (cut into fourths)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pastry for 2 crusts, save leftover dough after the pie is trimmed*
- 2 tablespoons turbinado cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine pineapple, juice, granulated sugar, tapioca, lemon zest, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon butter. Stir together and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla and remove saucepan from heat. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, make an egg wash by whisking together egg white and water. Set aside.
- Place small disk of leftover dough on parchment paper. Roll dough out with a rolling pin and use a large pineapple-shaped cookie cutter to create pastry design for the center of pie.
- Using pre-filled dough-lined pie plate, add filling, pouring it to 1/2-inch from top of pie plate. Dot top of filling with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Place second rolled-out pie dough over top of filling. Trim and flute edges.
- Brush egg wash over top crust and all over pineapple cutout. Place pineapple dough cutout in the center of pie. Using a sharp knife, cut 4–6 slits in top crust around pineapple design to allow steam to escape while the pie is baking. Lightly score pineapple with a crisscross pattern.
- Sprinkle top crust with turbinado sugar.
- Bake pie for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375F and continue to bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is brown and crispy.
- Remove pie from oven and cool for 15 to 30 minutes to allow filling to set.
- Slice and serve.
*We used Art of the Pie’s half leaf lard and half butter pie crust recipe.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/labor-day/this-traditional-vintage-double-crusted-pineapple-pie-will-leave-you-feeling-nostalgic/