Pizza on the grill? You bet! Bobby Flay’s Margherita grilled pizza tempts with a golden crust and that brick-oven flavor that pizzerias are famous for. Piled with tasty toppings, it’s perfect for summer parties and family meals on hot nights when you don’t want the heat in your kitchen.
If grilled pizza is new to you, let us introduce you to an easy, mouthwatering recipe to cut your teeth on. Our rendition of the amazing Bobby Flay’s Margherita grilled pizza will take the corner Italian joint off your phone’s speed-dial forevermore.
To make your summer cooking more carefree, this recipe calls for store-bought pizza dough — which means you’re already halfway done with dinner prep as soon as you start. Look for it in the refrigerator or freezer sections of your grocery store, or ask a pizza joint if they’ll sell you some dough. (You can also make it yourself if you prefer.) Either way, it’s a score as a dinner shortcut.
Before you stretch out the pizza dough, it must be at room temperature. Cold pizza dough will shrink after you shape it, and you’ll end up with a small, fat pizza that doesn’t feed your crowd.
Hot hot hot!
Get your grill up to temperature before you throw your dough on the fire. Brush a high-quality olive oil on the dough, season with salt and pepper, then grill one minute per side or until the dough has become a golden, bubbly crust. Transfer it to a baking sheet and drizzle it with olive oil.
Fresh ingredients make all the difference with any recipe, and grilled pizza’s no different. This one’s topped with thin slabs of fresh mozzarella, slices of Roma tomatoes, and a scattering of thinly sliced fresh basil leaves.
Drizzle more olive oil on the hot crust and top with slices of cheese and tomato, then slide back on the grill. Cook for a few minutes or until the cheese melts.
Take your pizza off the grill and generously garnish it with more fresh basil. It’s almost too beautiful to eat! Almost…
>> Click here to jump straight to the recipe
Sprinkle cornmeal on pizza peel to prevent sticking
Stretch dough out to the outer edges
Sprinkle with salt and pepper
Flip pizza over using pizza peel
Grill other side of Bobby Flay’s Margherita grilled pizza
Remove cooked pizza dough from grill and onto tray
Brush with olive oil
Top with fresh mozzarella for Bobby Flay’s Margherita grilled pizza
Add sliced Roma tomatoes
Make sure Bobby Flay’s Margherita grilled pizza is evenly coated
Place pizza back on grill and cook until mozzarella melts
Transfer cooked pizza back to peel
Top with fresh basil
Fresh and beautiful!
Slice Bobby Flay’s Margherita grilled pizza and serve hot
Great for parties or just a light dinner at home
Crispy crust and melted cheese make the perfect combination!
Bobby Flay’s Margherita grilled pizza
Yield 2–4 servings
- 1 store-bought ball of pizza dough, at room temperature
- Olive oil, for brushing and drizzling
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Handful fresh basil leaves, rolled up, thinly sliced crosswise
- Prepare grill for direct and indirect cooking.
- Heat grill.Make sure your grill is hot before you begin grilling the pizza. It's hot enough when you can hold your hands about 1 inch over grates for no more than 2 seconds. (But be careful!)
- While the grill gets up to temperature, gently stretch and shape the room-temperature dough into 12-inch round on a flat surface.
- Brush top of dough with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss dough on grill, oil-side down. Grill until bottom is golden brown, about 1 minute, checking frequently. If it is browning unevenly, use spatula or tongs to rotate dough 90 degrees and cook for another minute. Top of pizza dough should bubble up with air pockets.
- Flip dough over and grill other side until golden brown and just firm -- only about another minute or so.
- Transfer pizza crust to sheet pan. Cover grill so it retains heat for next step.
- Drizzle top of crust with more olive oil.
- Evenly arrange mozzarella and tomato slices on top of dough and season with salt and pepper.
- Return pizza to grill on sheet pan, cover grill, and cook for 3 or 4 minutes to melt cheese.
- Remove pizza from grill and sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Slice and serve immediately.
Courses Main course