Avocado toast with crispy brussels sprouts
- 4-6 slices thick, crusty bread
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- 1-2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- Oil for frying
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice
- Remove brussels sprouts from fridge. Wash, dry, cover and set aside outside the fridge well in advance of cooking. Brussels sprouts should be room temperature when fried.
- Toast or grill bread.
- Spread a layer of whole grain Dijon mustard over toast, then add avocado, salt and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, heat frying oil until hot but not smoking.
- Add a small handful of brussels sprouts to the oil and fry until the edges of the leaves are golden brown.
- Remove the brussels sprouts from the oil and sit on paper towels while the frying oil comes back to temperature.
- Add the brussels sprouts back into the oil for a second time and fry until completely golden brown.
- Remove brussels sprouts from oil and salt immediately.
- Add fried brussels sprouts to avocado toast and a squeeze of lemon.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/july-4th/avocado-toast-with-crispy-brussels-sprouts/