Smoked salmon potato cakes with herbed cream & pink peppercorns
Yield 4 servings
- 1 pound white potatoes, left whole
- 3-1/2 ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges, for sour cream mixture and garnish
- 3 scallions, minced
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 ounces smoked salmon, cut into ribbons
- 2 to 3 ounces arugula, stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
- Place potatoes into a large pot of cold water. Set on medium heat and bring to simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until potatoes are almost cooked but not completely soft.
- Drain water from potatoes. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Once cool, peel the skin off potatoes. Discard skin.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine sour cream, chives, basil and pinch of salt. Squeeze a lemon wedge of juice into sour cream mixture. Stir until creamy.
- Grate potatoes on the large side of the grater into a large bowl. Add scallions and salt. Mix as little as possible to combine ingredients.
- Fill 1/4 measuring cup with potato mixture and level off. Place measured potato mixture onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Use the bottom of measuring cup to flatten cakes slightly.
- Repeat process until all potato mixture has been used.
- In a large skillet, or electric skillet, over medium-high heat (350F), heat vegetable oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add potato cakes and fry a few at a time (do not crowd pan) until deep golden on both sides, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Edges should be crispy.
- Transfer potato cakes onto a stack of paper towels to drain away any excess grease.
- Repeat process until all potato cakes are cooked.
- When ready to serve, place potato cakes on serving platter.
- Generously spoon herbed cream onto each potato cake.
- Top each cake with smoked salmon, arugula, chives and a generous sprinkling of crushed pink peppercorns.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/easter/smoked-salmon-potato-cakes-with-herbed-cream-pink-peppercorns-are-the-perfect-holiday-party-appetizer/