Sea salt vanilla caramel twists
Yield 35-40 candies
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Aluminum foil
- Clear jar and holiday ribbon, for gifting
- Waxed paper
- Line 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with foil. Spray foil thoroughly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat whipping cream, vanilla, kosher salt and 2 tablespoons butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until mixture just starts to simmer. Remove from burner, cover with lid, and set aside.
- Mix sugar and corn syrup in 2-quart heavy saucepan and insert candy thermometer.
- Stir gently over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Use wet pastry brush to brush any stuck-on granules into syrup.
- Continue to cook without stirring until thermometer reads 310F. Disperse any dark areas in syrup by gently tilting saucepan in circular motion.
- Remove pan from heat. Pour cream mixture into syrup gently and slowly to avoid boilover. Syrup will bubble vigorously.
- Return pan to medium heat and continue to cook until candy thermometer reads 260F.
- Remove thermometer. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter. The caramel should look smooth.
- Pour caramel into loaf pan and allow to cool for approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add sprinkling of coarse sea salt over top before completely cooling pan on cooling rack.
- When caramel is completely cool, lift it from pan by grasping edges of foil sheet. Gently peel foil from caramel.
- Cut into 35 to 40 squares with sharp knife. Wrap each caramel in twist of waxed paper and place in decorative tin tied with ribbon.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/easter/sea-salt-vanilla-caramels/