English pea toast
Yield 4-6 pieces of toast
Lemon almond ricotta:
- 1 cup raw almonds (soaked overnight or for 8 hours and peeled)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk (or water)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
English pea toast:
- 1/2 cup lemon almond ricotta
- 4–6 slices of crusty bread (½ inch thick)
- 5–6 Easter egg radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 cups English peas
- Soak almonds overnight, or boil for 10 minutes in salted water. Peel and remove skins from almonds (they will slide right off after soaking).
- Add almonds, lemon juice, lemon zest, non-dairy milk (or water), nutritional yeast and salt to a food processor and blend until smooth. If too dry and lumpy, slowly add more milk or water as needed. Set ricotta mixture aside.
- Steam peas until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Run peas under cold water to cool and stop cooking process, then dry peas thoroughly.
- Place 1-1/2 cups peas in food processor with salt and pepper to taste and blend until mixture reaches consistency of crunchy peanut butter. Add remaining peas and pulse a few times so that peas' shape is visible in mixture. Set mixture aside.
- Grill, broil or toast bread on both sides until golden brown.
- To assemble, layer whole-grain mustard and lemon almond ricotta onto toast.
- Add pea mixture.
- Top toast with sliced radishes and cracked pepper for garnish. Serve immediately.
Peeling the almonds ensures that the ricotta is a light color, not that of the almond skins.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/easter/english-pea-toast-recipe/