Peeps grilled cheese sandwich
Yield 1 sandwich
- 2 slices brioche
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon Nutella
- 2 tablespoon marscapone
- 5-6 Peeps (we used four different colors to get the rainbow effect, but any Peeps will work)
- 2 tablespoons colorful sugar, *optional
- Heat griddle to about 200F.
- Lightly toast brioche slices to dry them out, about 5 minutes. Remove slices from heat as soon as they start to get brown.
- Increase griddle temperature to 350F.
- Spread one slice of cooled bread with 1 tablespoon Nutella, and the other, with 1–2 tablespoons mascarpone.
- Divide each Peep in half. Line up the 10 halves on mascarpone-smeared slice of bread.
- Layer on other ingredients and top with other piece of bread.
- Brush on thin coat of butter to outside of each piece of bread.
- Place sandwich on heated griddle for no more than two minutes, after which the bread should be a deep golden color.
- Optional step: Add colored sugar on the outside of the sandwich to mimic the sugar on the Peeps. Sprinkle the sugar on the outside of the sandwich and toast for the last 15 seconds of cooking. Be careful, sugar burns quickly and is very hot when melted.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5-10 minutes to allow Peeps to melt.
Do not press your pieces of bread down with a spatula. This will cause everything to get too melted and flat. You want your bread and peeps to stay as fluffy as possible.
Softened or whipped cream cheese can be used as an alternative to the mascarpone.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/easter/easter-peeps-grilled-cheese-recipe/