Vegan French toast with fresh berries
Yield 4-5 pieces
- 1 heaping tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1-1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 4–5 slices day old sourdough bread (make sure that it is sturdy, thick cut bread)
- Fresh berries, powdered sugar, syrup, chocolate, vegan whipped cream or other toppings as desired.
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or oil
- Place all ingredients except bread and toppings in blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
- Place batter in large bowl and refrigerate to thicken for 10–20 minutes.
- Preheat griddle to medium heat and grease with 1 tablespoon vegan butter or oil.
- Dip each slice of bread in batter for 20–30 seconds on each side. The drier bread is, the longer it should soak.
- Place on griddle and cook until golden brown on underside. Carefully flip and cook until other side is golden brown. This should take 3–4 minutes.
- Top with desired toppings and serve.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/christmas/vegan-french-toast/