Classic prime rib with horseradish cream
Yield 8-10 servings
- One 6-pound Certified Angus Beef® prime rib roast (ribs removed and tied)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 16 slices fresh garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- Up to 3 days before serving, rub salt all over roast and refrigerate uncovered.
- When ready to cook roast, preheat oven 200F.
- Cut 16 slits in top of roast, and insert slices of garlic into the slits.
- Season roast with additional salt, if desired, and generously season roast with black pepper.
- Pour oil into a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add roast and sear until it is browned on one side. Flip roast and sear other side. Repeat this process with the other two smaller sides.
- Place a rack in a roasting pan and set roast on the rack.
- Cook roast in oven for 3 to 4 hours, or until meat thermometer registers 110F.
- Turn oven off. Place a meat thermometer in the middle of the roast, and let it rest for about 30 minutes without opening the oven door. Remove roast when internal temperature reaches about 120F for rare.
- Cover roast with foil and let it rest in the oven for at least 10, and up to 30, minutes to allow juices to redistribute.
- Remove roasting pan from oven.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Uncover roast and place it under the broiler. Broil until the top of the roast is browned and crispy, watching carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- To serve, cut roast into slices. Remove and discard the string.
- Prepare the horseradish cream sauce by mixing sour cream with horseradish in a bowl. Stir in chives.
- Serve sliced roast with horseradish cream sauce.
Courses Main dish
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/christmas/classic-prime-rib-with-horseradish-cream/