Christmas cutout sugar cookies
Yield 32–36 cookies
- 6 cups flour (750 grams)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Royal icing (get the recipe here)
- Place flour in large mixing bowl. Add baking powder and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Using stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then add vanilla extract. Mix well. Blend one more minute.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients, 1 cup at a time. The dough will come together and turn into a ball. Be patient: This is a slow process.
- Smooth freshly mixed dough into a ball. Cut into thirds.
- With a rolling pin, roll first portion of dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper to 1/4-inch thickness. Place sheet of dough in refrigerator. Repeat with remaining thirds of dough.
- Chill sheets of dough overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Cut out cookies with cookie cutters, and place on cookie sheet. Return to refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Roll any dough scraps and cut out additional cookies. Continue until all dough is used.
- Ovens vary, but total baking time will be approximately 11–12 minutes. The size of the cookies makes a difference; cooking time will be less for smaller cookies. Tip for most even baking: Halfway through cooking time, move cookie sheet on oven's upper rack to lower rack, and move sheet from lower rack to upper rack.
- After baking, allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then move them to wire rack to cool completely.
- When cool, frost as desired with royal icing.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/christmas/christmas-cutout-sugar-cookies/