Chocolate peppermint cake roll
Yield 8 servings
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 20 peppermint candies crushed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Peppermint candies, crushed for topping
- Cake: Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease a 15x10-inch sheet cake pan or jelly roll pan. Line pan with parchment paper, then grease and flour parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using a stand mixer, add egg whites and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Pour into bowl. Set mixture aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using a stand mixer with clean paddle attachment, combine egg yolks and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar and continue beating for 2 additional minutes.
- Add cocoa mixture to egg yolk mixture and beat on low speed, slowly adding water and mixing until batter is smooth.
- Gradually fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg whites until ingredients are well-blended.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in the center and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for about 1 minute.
- Carefully, lift parchment paper and hot cake out of the pan and onto a cutting board.
- Immediately, starting at one of the short ends of the cake, use hands to gently and slowly roll cake -- and parchment paper -- all the way up.
- Place cake on wire rack and allow the rolled up cake to cool completely.
- Transfer to refrigerator to cool for an additional 30 minutes.
- Filling: In a clean mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and peppermint extract. Beat until fluffy and smooth.
- Gently stir in crushed peppermint candies, to taste. Save a handful of crushed candies for garnishing the finished cake.
- Once the cake roll is cooled completely, unroll it very carefully.
- Gently smooth filling in an even layer over the cake.
- Roll up the cake, without parchment paper. If you see it start to stick at all to the paper, use a metal knife to scrape along the bottom edge of the cake as you roll it up to help release it.
- Cover cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Ganache: In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, heat heavy cream until hot.
- Place chocolate chips in a bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips and stir continuously until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Allow ganache to cool for several minutes to give it time to thicken up a little.
- Pour chocolate ganache over top of peppermint roll. Sprinkle additional chopped peppermint candy on top.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Slice and serve.
Note: The cake can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/living/celebrate/christmas/chocolate-peppermint-cake-roll/