Homemade spiked eggnog
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces Bourbon
- 1-1/2 ounces amaretto
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- Freshly grated nutmeg
For traditional eggnog
- Place egg whites in bowl of stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. Gradually add 1 tablespoon sugar while mixer is running and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Using stand mixer, beat egg yolks until light yellow. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until completely dissolved. Stir in milk, cream, Bourbon, amaretto and allspice.
- Whisk the egg whites into the mixture.
- Chill and serve sprinkled with nutmeg.
For cooked eggnog
- In medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks. With mixer running, gradually add 1 tablespoon sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- With stand mixer, beat egg yolks until light yellow. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until completely dissolved.
- In medium saucepan, combine milk, heavy cream and allspice. Cook over high heat just to boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and gradually temper hot mixture into egg and sugar mixture.
- Return all to pot and cook until mixture reaches 160F. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Bourbon and amaretto.
- Pour into medium mixing bowl, and set in refrigerator to chill.
- Whisk egg whites into chilled mixture.
- Top with nutmeg and serve.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/food/recipes/drinks/homemade-spiked-eggnog/