Harissa paste and harissa butter
- 1 red bell pepper, charred* and chopped
- 10 dried arbol chiles
- 6 dried chiltepins
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces unsalted butter softened
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- 3 tablespoons harissa paste
*Char the red pepper over a flame or under a grill until the skin is blackened all over. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Rub the blackened skin from the pepper and remove the stem, seeds and inner membranes. Avoid washing the pepper under running water as this will wash away the juices.
- Cut the stems off the arbol chiles and discard them. Shake out the seeds and discard.
- Pour boiling water over the arbol chillies and chiltepins and set aside for 20 minutes to soften.
- Place the cumin, caraway seeds and cinnamon into a small pan over medium heat. Toast until aromatic, being careful not to burn!
- Grind the toasted spices and smoked paprika flakes in a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder. It should be as fine a powder as you can manage.
- Place the pepper, drained chiles, ground spices, garlic, salt and oil into a large bowl. Using a stick blender, blend to a paste. Check for seasoning.
- Keep refrigerated and use within three weeks, or freeze any excess.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until until light and fluffy.
- Add the ground fennel and harissa and continue blending until well-combined.
- Scoop the harissa butter onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a four-inch log. Roll tightly into the plastic wrap. Twist the ends to tighten even more.
- Refrigerate overnight before using, allowing the flavors to develop.
- Alternatively, freeze the butter for up to three months. You can easily cut off chunks as needed while the rest remains frozen.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/food/recipes/dinner/harissa-paste-and-harissa-butter/