Fried green tomato BLT
- 2 large green tomatoes (about softball size)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or as needed)
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices of bread
- Core and slice tomatoes into 1/2-inch rounds and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl. Crack egg into another, beating lightly with fork.
- Dip each slice of tomato first in egg, and then in seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Allow dredged tomatoes to rest while you heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in deep skillet. The oil is ready when it has a slight shimmer and when a bit of batter bubbles up immediately.
- Fry tomato slices in single layer until golden brown. Set on paper towels to rest.
- Prepare BLT as usual, substituting fried green tomato for fresh.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/food/recipes/dinner/5-blt-variations/