Vegan caramel apples
Yield 6-7 apples
- 6-7 Granny Smith apples (or any apples you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon distilled vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups coconut cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (or corn syrup)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- Pinch salt
- Toppings (optional)
- Rinse apples in hot water and vinegar to help remove wax coating.
- Remove stems and insert wooden sticks through cores. Place apples freezer to cool.
- In medium saucepan, stir remaining ingredients over medium-low heat until sugar has dissolved and butter has melted.
- Once mixture begins boiling, add candy thermometer and stop stirring. Boil until candy thermometer reaches 245 F. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Let caramel sit for about 5 minutes.
- Remove apples from freezer. Dip each apple into saucepan, tilting pot while swirling apples around to evenly distribute caramel. Allow excess caramel to drip off, and then flip apple upside down for about 10 seconds to give caramel time to set.
- Place apples on lined baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in fridge for about 10 minutes for caramel to firm up.
- Remove apples from fridge and add desired toppings (optional). Enjoy apples within 2-3 days.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/food/recipes/desserts/vegan-caramel-apples/