Sweet potato pecan rolls
Yield 12 rolls
- 1-1/4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola
- 1 egg + 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (room temperature)
- 6-8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1-1/3 cups brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 cups pecans (or to taste)
Cream cheese frosting:
- 1 stick room temperature butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large bowl, stir yeast into warm water and let sit for about 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Stir in honey, oil, egg and yolks, salt and sweet potato until well combined.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time, allowing mixer to fully incorporate each addition before adding more. If kneading by hand, start with 2 cups, then add 2 more, then go down to 1. (Dough should be smooth and elastic, and bounce back quickly when poked. It might still be sticky because of the sweet potato, but it shouldn’t be so sticky that pieces of it stick to your fingers.)
- Cover with dish towel and place in warm, draft-free space for about an hour and half, or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down. Divide in two and knead for about 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary to prevent stickiness.
- Roll each section of dough into rectangleabout 24 by 12 inches.
- Mix sweet potato, brown sugar and cinnamon for filling and spread evenly over 2 rectangles of dough, making sure to reach edges. Top generously with pecans.
- Starting from short side of dough, roll each rectangle into spiral, keeping all filling inside. With loose end down on counter (so gravity keeps roll closed), slice each roll into half, and then cut each half into thirds. Arrange 3 roll by 2 in 2 parchment-lined lasagna trays. You should have 2 trays of 6 rolls that fit comfortably with room to expand. Allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Melt butter and spoon evenly over each roll, allowing some to drip down to bottom of pan. This helps keep rolls moist while crisping bottoms.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until plump and golden brown.
- For frosting, cream butter and cream cheese in mixer until well blended and smooth.
- Slowly add powdered sugar at low speed, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon. Beat at medium speed until reaching desired thickness. Add powdered sugar or a few drops of water as needed.
- Allow sweet potato rolls to cool before frosting.
If you prefer buns without frosting, use a quick icing (about 1/2 teaspoon of water and 1 cup powdered sugar) and a dusting of orange zest to finish them nicely.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/food/recipes/desserts/sweet-potato-pecan-rolls/