Healthier bloomin' onion recipe
Yield 1 onion
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk, water or beer
- 2-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Slice off just enough onion stem (non-root side) to make it sit flat.
- Peel onion.
- Place onion on cutting board, cut-side-down.
- Starting half an inch to an inch from the root, cut downward through to the cutting board, making 4 sections first. Then continue to split sections (cut the 4 sections in half, then those 8 in half again) until you have 16 evenly spaced sections, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Flip the onion over and gently separate outer petals.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and milk, water or beer.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk together flour mixture and spices.
- Dip onion into flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Freeze, petal-side-up, 5-10 minutes.
- Dip onion into egg wash, letting excess drip off.
- Coat a second time in flour mixture, using a spoon to fully coat.
- Freeze, petal-side-up, 30-60 minutes.
- Shake off excess.
- Spritz with oil.
- Place in basket of air fryer and lightly tent with foil.
- Cook at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Check onion and cook for additional 7-15 minutes, based on size of onion and level of crisp you want to achieve, covering with foil tent if needed.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/food/recipes/copycat-recipes/healthier-bloomin-onion-recipe/