Turkey meatballs with Asian dipping sauce
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup dry sake
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar, plus more for seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground turkey (white meat)
- 1 pound ground turkey (dark meat)
- 3/4 cup white onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- In small saucepan, whisk together soy sauce, sake, sugar, vinegar, ginger and hot pepper flakes. Bring mixture to boil and allow to cook over high heat until thickened into glaze, approximately 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Set aside half of sauce in small bowl for serving with finished meatballs. Keep remainder of sauce covered with aluminum foil until step 6.
- In large bowl, mix well-ground white and dark turkey, white onion, ginger, garlic, sea salt and 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil.
- Using hands, form meat mixture into generous 1-tablespoon round meatball. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat process until all meat is made into meatballs.
- To large skillet, add 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Add half (about 20) of meatballs to skillet and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Turn meatballs over, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Brush half of set-aside covered sauce over meatballs. After 1 minute, flip each meatball over with tong, and brush other side with sauce. Cook another 1 minute, or until glazed and cooked completely through. If sauce darkens too quickly, reduce heat.
- Insert bamboo skewer into each meatball and place on serving platter.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/food/recipes/appetizers/turkey-meatballs-asian-dipping-sauce/