Elegant hot crab dip
Yield 6-8 servings
- 1-1/2 cups French white bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, minced
- 1/2 cup white onion, grated
- 16 ounces whole lump crab meat
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 baguette, cut into 1/4-inch slices and toasted
- Preheat broiler to 500F.
- Combine the bread and milk in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Using a blender, purée the milk and bread until very smooth, then force the mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, warm the butter over medium-low heat. Add the tarragon and sauté gently, just until it becomes fragrant and begins to sizzle, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and continue sautéing for 5 to 6 minutes, until the onion is translucent and soft.
- Add the crab, Cayenne pepper and the milk mixture to the pan, then stir gently until thoroughly combined and warm.
- Remove the pan from the stove and fold in the heavy cream.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a warmed serving dish.
- Serve warm with toasted baguette slices.
- Transfer the crab mixture to your preheated serving dish. Evenly cover the dip with grated Parmesan cheese and broil for 5 minutes.
- Allow the crab dip to rest for 5 minutes before serving with toasted country bread.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/food/recipes/appetizers/elegant-christmas-crab-dip/