Asparagus ribbon salad with garlicky breadcrumbs and lemon mint vinaigrette
- 4–6 slices good-quality bread
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Zest from 1 lemon (reserve lemon for dressing)
Lemon mint vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch (about 1/2 cup) fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice from 1 lemon (left over from breadcrumb prep, above)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch asparagus
- ½ cup garlicky breadcrumbs
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, slices
- Lemon Mint Dressing (to taste)
- An assortment of edible flowers (see notes below)
- Preheat oven to 250F. Chop bread into relatively even-sized cubes and bake until fully dried but not browned (about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how moist the bread is).
- Pulse dried bread in food processor until large crumbs form. Avoid overprocessing, or you will end up with bread dust.
- Add remaining garlicky breadcrumb ingredients to food processor and pulse until evenly mixed.
- Blend all vinaigrette ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Remove lower portions of asparagus stalks. (See tip below.)
- Shave asparagus from top to bottom using potato peeler, starting from just below the base of the flower (tip). Set tips aside.
- Thinly chop remainders once they're too difficult to shave. Slice asparagus tips down the middle lengthwise.
- Toss prepped asparagus with strawberries, dressing, and half of breadcrumb mixture in serving dish.
- Pile remaining breadcrumbs on top of salad and decorate with edible flowers. Serve.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/food/diets/vegan/easter-shaved-asparagus-salad/