Spanish queso fundido
Yield 6–8 servings
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons smoky paprika
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper, crushed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and diced
- Sea salt
- 8-ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8-ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 5-ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup Mexican beer
- Assorted tortilla chips (white, yellow and sweet potato)
- Place cumin powder, paprika and Aleppo pepper spice in dry skillet and toast for few minutes until fragrant.
- Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- In small bowl, mix tomato and jalapeno chili; set aside.
- In medium bowl, toss cheeses together with flour.
- In skillet, cook chorizo, breaking up pieces, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and spice/garlic mixture, and continue cooking until both onion and chorizo are fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Place chorizo mixture in small bowl and set aside.
- Add beer to skillet and simmer, stirring occasionally and scraping up browned bits on bottom of skillet.
- Slowly add cheeses 1/4 cup at time, whisking constantly. Continue to cook until all cheese has blended and mixture is smooth.
- Stir in 3/4 of chorizo and onion mixture. Reserve remainder and set aside.
- Add salt to cheese mixture. Stir until well incorporated.
- Just before serving, add extra chorizo mixture in center of cheese dip. Garnish with tomato salsa mixture around sides of cheese dip.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Serve in cast-iron skillet, casserole dish or fondue pot.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrations/spanish-queso-fundido-dip/