Lemon plum skillet cake
Yield 8 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened at room temperature, divided
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or Cointreau (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 to 5 lemon plums halved, pitted, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set mixture aside.
- In the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 6 tablespoons of softened butter, granulated sugar, orange zest, Grand Marnier or Cointreau, cinnamon and ginger. Blend on medium speed for 4 minutes, or until the batter is smooth.
- Add eggs and almond extract. Mix for another minute on medium speed, stopping at least once to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Alternating between the two, gradually add flour mixture and sour cream to batter mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Spread batter evenly in the greased skillet. Smooth out the top.
- Arrange plum slices in a circular pattern on top of the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with brown sugar.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and set aside to cool in the skillet for 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrations/lemon-plum-skillet-cake/