Yield 8–10 servings
- Nonstick vegetable-oil spray
- 6 cups freshly popped popcorn (or plain microwave popcorn -- no butter or other seasoned types)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spray pan, bowl and handle of large spoon or rubber spatula with nonstick vegetable oil spray.
- Transfer popped popcorn to large prepared bowl, discarding any unpopped kernels.
- In large deep pot over moderately high heat, combine corn syrup, sugar, and 1/4 cup water, stirring well to combine. Cook, undisturbed, until mixture develops light amber color, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, add baking soda and butter, and stir continuously until butter is melted and well combined.
- Immediately pour caramel over popcorn, then use prepared spoon or rubber spatula to stir.
- Transfer from bowl to baking sheet. Spread out caramel corn evenly over baking tray.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and allow to cool and harden, at least 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, break up caramel corn into bite-size pieces.
- Serve, or store in airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Once the sugar begins to caramelize, swirl the pan to evenly distribute the color, but don't stir. Stirring will cause the sugar to crystallize and harden.
- The mixture will be very hot and will foam. Stir constantly until the foaming subsides.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrations/homemade-caramel-popcorn/