Cheesy scalloped potatoes
Yield 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the shallots, stirring often, until softened.
- Add the cream, milk, thyme, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper, stir, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the potatoes and cook on low heat with lid slightly ajar, until tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir occasionally. Be careful not to allow mixture to cook too fast and stick.
- Coat a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour the potato mixture into the baking dish. Top with the shredded cheeses.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is slightly golden.
- Place the scalloped potatoes under the broiler for 3 to 4 minutes to caramelize the cheese.
- Remove and let the potatoes rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with extra thyme as a garnish.
- Serve warm.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrate/thanksgiving/these-cheesy-scalloped-potatoes-are-the-perfect-side-dish-for-dinner-any-night-of-the-year/