Smoky quinoa and black bean salad
Yield 4 servings
- 1 cup uncooked white quinoa, rinsed
- 1-3/4 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, diced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or canned corn, cooked
- 3 scallions, green and white parts, sliced
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the quinoa in a saucepot over high heat. Pour in the water and give the mixture a gentle stir. Place a lid on the pot and bring the quinoa to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and allow the quinoa to rest for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Set mixture aside.
- In a large, wide serving dish, arrange the quinoa to cover one half of the dish. In a side-by-side arrangement, place the black beans, red bell peppers, and the corn in the dish. Sprinkle the scallions down the middle of the ingredients, separating the quinoa from the others.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top of the salad.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve the salad with extra vinaigrette on the side.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrate/thanksgiving/smoky-quinoa-and-black-bean-salad/