Vegan green bean casserole
Yield 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 pound green beans, rinsed, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms (button, baby bella or cremini), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1-1/2 cups vegan crispy fried onions, divided 1/2 cup and 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add two tablespoons salt.
- Add green beans and cook for five minutes, then drain and place in an ice water bath to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
- In a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat, add vegan butter or olive oil and heat for two to three minutes.
- Add shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook for two to three minutes, then add mushrooms and cook for four minutes more or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk to stir, coating the veggies. Cook for one minute, then slowly add in vegetable stock, whisking well to incorporate.
- Add almond milk and whisk to stir again. Reduce heat to low to thicken. Cook for five to seven minutes more, or until thick and bubbly.
- Add one-half of onion rings to the sauce.
- Place green beans in a casserole dish. Pour sauce over the beans and toss. Top with remaining fried onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until warmed through and bubbly and slightly browned on top.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrate/thanksgiving/our-easy-vegan-green-bean-casserole-allows-everyone-to-enjoy-this-traditional-holiday-favorite-side-dish/