Leftover turkey enchiladas
Yield 12 servings
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 leeks, green part removed, white part sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 5 cups leftover cooked turkey (dark and white meat), shredded
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 (15-ounce) cans red enchilada sauce, divided 2 cans, 1/2 can, 1-1/2 cans
- 2-1/2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 24 thick corn tortillas3 ears corn, cooked, kernels cut from the ear
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese, for filling and topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and leeks. Cook, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes or until the onions and leeks are transparent.
- Add garlic and cumin. Cook, stirring often, for 2 more minutes.
- Add shredded turkey, diced tomatoes, 2 cans enchilada sauce, chipotle chiles, and cilantro. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining 1/2 cup of oil.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, submerge a tortilla in the hot oil and allow it to soften for 10 seconds, turn and heat for another 5 seconds. Set the tortilla on a stack of paper towels to drain.
- Repeat the process until all of the tortillas are cooked.
- Spread 1/2 can of red enchilada sauce in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Set aside.
- Place a tortilla on a plate. Add enough turkey mixture, about 1/4 cup, to line the center of the tortilla. Sprinkle the turkey filling with shredded cheese. Roll the tortilla around the turkey filling and place it seam-side down in the casserole dish.
- Repeat filling and rolling each tortilla with turkey until all the tortillas are filled or all the filling is gone.
- Pour the remaining 1-1/2 cans of enchilada sauce over the top of the casserole of turkey-filled tortillas. Add any leftover turkey mixture to the tops of the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the corn kernels over the top of the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the black beans over the top of the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top of the enchiladas.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 30 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and allow the enchiladas to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Courses Main dish
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrate/thanksgiving/fast-easy-and-tasty-leftover-turkey-enchiladas/