Easy Thanksgiving leftovers bites
Yield 6 servings
- 2 cups stuffing, broken into small-sized pieces
- 1 cup leftover finely chopped turkey
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 4 to 5 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 1-1/2 cups hot turkey gravy for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine stuffing, turkey, cheese, and parsley. Mix until well-blended.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using your hands, form balls of the stuffing mixture using a 2-tablespoon measuring spoon. Roll all the mixture into balls and place them on 1 of the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and allow the leftovers bites to set for 30 minutes.
- Fill a deep cast-iron casserole pot with enough oil to submerge the leftovers bites. Heat the oil to 365 F and keep it constant at this temperature.
- Set up an assembly line of ingredients to finish making the balls. Fill the first bowl with the mashed potatoes, a second bowl with the flour, the third bowl with the whisked egg, and the fourth bowl with the panko bread crumbs.
- Remove the leftovers bites from the freezer and wrap about 4 tablespoons of cold mash potatoes around each ball.
- Next, gently roll each ball in flour and then transfer it to the egg bowl. Using one hand, roll the ball around to cover it in egg. With your other hand, dip and cover the ball in panko bread crumbs. Place the prepared bites on the second parchment-lined baking sheet and continue forming until all the ingredients are used.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Working in batches, drop 2 to 3 leftovers bites into the hot oil and fry until the bites are golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the bites with a heatproof slotted spoon or a spider skimmer and transfer to the paper-towel-lined parchment baking sheet to drain. Continue deep-frying the remaining bites. Be sure to adjust the heat as needed to keep the oil at a consistent 365 F.
- Garnish the leftovers bites with extra minced parsley.
- Serve immediately with a bowl of hot gravy for dipping.
Courses Main dish
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrate/thanksgiving/easy-tasty-thanksgiving-leftovers-bites/